A Complete Diaper Size Guide For Your Newborns
Ask any parents, and all of them would emphasise a well-fitted diaper. However, an ill-fitted diaper can cause many issues, including leaky diapers, messy bed sheets and even rashes caused due to rubbing and chafing of the skin against the cloth diaper. Thus, before you go ahead and buy newborn diapers online, it is crucial to understand the sizes of newborn diapers and place the order accordingly.
This article will discuss what to keep in mind before placing an order for newborn diapers, how many diapers to buy, and most importantly, what size to buy!
Before You Place An Order
- The Cost – Understand the cost per diaper and what is your best option available. For example, a disposable diaper would seem cheaper if you look at the per unit cost. But one cloth diaper lasts as long as 300 disposable diapers. Thus, against an average of 3000 Rs that 300 disposable diapers would generally cost, good quality newborn diapers cost not more than 750 Rs. Huge savings, right!
- The Comfort – The comfort of the parents and caregivers is as important as the comfort of a baby. Many people go for disposable diapers because of the assumption that disposable diapers bring extra convenience and comfort to the life of parents and caregivers. But is that true, though? For your baby, needless to say, cotton or cloth is any day more comfortable on their bum and privates than chemical-loaded plastic disposable diapers. As far as your comfort is concerned, before you discard the idea of cloth diapers, speak to a few parents who have had a successful exclusive cloth diapering journey and gauge the level of comfort that cloth diapers bring along for you as well.
- The Durability – It is important to see whether or not the cloth diapers you invest in would last through the cloth diapering journey for your baby or not! Because, if not, it would be a waste of money. Some newborn cloth diapers, such as SuperBottoms UNO, last up to 300 washes. Choose such diapers that can be easily used till your baby graduates to free size diapers and then can be passed on to other newborn kids in the family.
- The After-Sale Service – Some brands sell the product and then leave it to you to figure out the use, the fit, the troubleshooting etc., on your own. On the other hand, a few brands have exceptional after-sale service. For example, there are customer service executives who have been cloth diapering parents who understand the journey, hand hold you and help you succeed in the journey. So go for brands that will help you through the journey.
- Safe & Certified – Although India doesn’t have regulations regarding diapers, there are still brands that go ahead and get themselves tested and certified, using certified superior quality cotton and dyes. Those are the keeper bands! See all information about mbc 2030
The Ultimate Size Guide For Newborn Diapers
It is extremely important to choose the right size of diaper for your newborn because an ill-fitted diaper comes with its own problems. An ill-fitted diaper can,
- Rub and chafe against your baby’s skin and cause irritation
- Can lead to diaper rashes
- Can result in leakage and messy situations.
Thus, even if your newborn will fit into a newborn diaper for not more than 5 – 7 months, it is essential for you to be the right size and avoid all these painful and nasty situations for them and you.
A newborn baby, even a premature baby, would fit into an adjustable newborn diaper. Newborn UNO or newborn diapers fits up to 7 Kgs. On average, a baby would reach the weight goal of 7 KGs by the age of 6 – 7 months. Thus, newborn diapers would easily fit your baby for a good 6 – 7 months. At times, if your baby is on the leaner size, they would fit into a newborn diaper even after they cross the mark of 7 Kgs. But after a certain age, kids will start pulling on the diaper, and Velcro is easier to remove than snaps. Thus, even if your baby fits into a newborn diaper, it is better to move to a diaper with snaps. So, you would need to progress to a free-size diaper. Other than the weight, here are some classic signs which will help you realise that it is time now to switch to a free size cloth diaper and leave the newborn diapers days behind:
- The newborn diaper starts feeling snug at the waist. You will realise this while making the baby wear the diaper; if you have to pull the elastic towards the front, it is probably tight on your baby’s waist and uncomfortable for them.
- The elastic on the thighs is meant to avoid any leaks in the diaper. If they start to tuck into the skin of your baby, it is getting too tight for them to wear.
- If the elastics or fit of the diaper is leaving red marks on your baby’s skin, it’s time to say hello to the next size of diapers.
How Many Newborn Diapers Would You Need?
Now that you understand the size, you also need to be mindful of how many newborn diapers you would need to invest in. Newborn babies soil more diapers as compared to toddlers. A newborn baby can use up to ten to twelve diapers per day. But unlike in the case of toddlers, most parents prefer to hand wash the clothes of newborn babies daily. Parents prefer not to gather the laundry, especially cloth diapers for babies and wash them together. Instead, in most houses, the cloth diapers are washed and dried as soon as they are soiled. This ensures some extra hygiene for the new-born’s skin and health. You would need around 15 – 20 newborn diapers in such a case.
How Many Sizes Would You Need To Upgrade In Future?
The good news is that once you graduate from newborn diapers to free size diapers, that is all! After this, you need to adjust the snaps of the diaper to size it according to your baby’s fit. Free Size diapers last all through the diapering journey of your baby.
So, before you go ahead and invest in newborn diapers, we hope you have all the information you need to make an informed decision. Happy diapering!