Information on Child Support Collection in Idaho

When parents in Idaho split up, the law requires both parties to share in child support payments. An “income share model” calculates child support in Idaho. The courts will use this approach to determine child support by dividing the total amount the couple would spend if the family were still together by each parent’s income. 

The Idaho child support standards are difficult and complex, requiring several processes to calculate proper child support amounts. An experienced family law lawyer should be consulted rather than the Idaho Supreme Court’s Court Assistance Office, which provides many papers to aid in estimating child support payments.

Idaho Child Support Guidelines

To establish how much child support each parent must pay, the “income shares model” is used. Parent A is accountable for 60% of the total child support obligation if Parent B earns $4,000 per month and Parent C earns $6,000. The remaining 40% falls on the second parent.

The non-custodial parent’s income is just one of several factors used to calculate child support in Idaho. Child support in Idaho is determined in part by the custody arrangement reached. The “income shares model” will be adopted without modification if the non-custodial parent has less than 25% of the overnights with the children. The non-custodial parent will make payments. However, the child support amount will be reduced to account for each parent’s expenses because shared or split custody agreements typically result in the non-custodial parent spending much more time with the children.

The courts may also consider the expense of childcare or transportation related to visitation when determining child support and the standard child support standards. Both available on the federal and state levels, child tax credits and dependency exemptions may also affect the final child support amount in Idaho.

Who Makes the Ultimate Call in Idaho Child Support Cases?

The courts will determine a child support award in an Idaho divorce. Still, parents can negotiate a child support settlement with the help of a family law attorney and the state’s child support standards. Generally, a judge will uphold child support agreements that were reached amicably.

One of the most challenging problems in family law is child support. An expert in family law and divorce proceedings who has helped countless clients, peaceful and acrimonious divorces alike, reach fair child support settlements.

Get in touch with a child Support Lawyer in Idaho. 

As a rule, divorce is a complex process. You can sit down with a lawyer familiar with Idaho law and ask them to assist you in calculating a possible child support obligation. They will review the criteria for establishing a child support order, including any specifics of your case that may affect the outcome.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Check Also
Back to top button